Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jet lag and the tube

Here I am in London. I didn't sleep well the night before, but it was def. worth it to wake up with those baby blues. The flight was long, and being in a space smaller than the box office without a smoke break and unable to sleep was a little less than enjoyable. I arrived in London at about 6am, 1am our time, into an immense fog. Getting out into the fresh air to smoke one, it felt like when I arrived in Paris last year. But I suppose all airports are pretty much the same. It's nice to arrive and hear english, very nice, even if I can't understand them all the time. It's funny because I was so intent on listening to the accents on the plane, and I realized that it's because I've never been so bombarded with the british, and I guess I feel like I'm watching a movie and have the right to listen in on whatever they my be saying. I met an Australian kid on the tube when I got on from the airport. We both had big backpacks, so I guess it warented a conversation. I couldn't understand half of what he was saying and ended up staring, doe-eyed and confused when he looked to me for coversational cues. I was offered weed right out of the tube in Camden Town, which my brother had warned me about.
I have Tammy's charms looped through my belt loop and tucked in my pocket. They play well as worry stones.
After passing my hostel a few times, I finally had a very nice fruit vendor point out that I was standing in front of it. I bought a pear for 20 pence, and ate it ravenously like eve straight out of Eden. I couldn't check in (meaning for me the one thought which was sleep, should be delayed) but the girl at the front showed me to a couch downstairs. I slept for hours, but not uninterupted. I slept with my travel pillow/blanket and my pack under my head. People ate around me, talked loudly, a man swept the room and knocked the couch a good number of times. I eventually passed through some good rest when another girl found the other couch and camped out as well. When one of the guys (mr. sweepy-sweepy-knock the couch) touched the bottom of my foot to tell me I could check in, it was 2pm and I couldn't possibly go to sleep then. Thus far, I've wandered around and come here, to this little internet place. 1£ an hour- not bad.
I miss mike so much it's hard to breathe just thinking about it, and his email made me tear up in front of complete strangers. I could go on listing all the things I miss about him, but to make it short: everything.
I wish Tammy, Tanya, Lauren or Ann were here for a cup of coffee and a smoke. I'd like a real friend right now.

To anyone that reads, love you all.

Will update frequently. Going to Paris either tomorrow night, or Friday morning, and straight on to Barcelona via train from there.

In the frequently heard words of the brits, "cheers"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww, you had to crash on a lobby couch? Keep those talismans tight. xoxoxoxoxo